12 October 2007

Re-Connecting

So, a couple weeks ago I was catching up on the lives of some of my friends by looking at their blogs. One girl, Audrey, who I met on an archeology trip and knew for a short time at Ricks College, sometimes writes about her family and posts to her husband’s family’s blog. So, I was just checking quickly to see if Audrey had posted anything recently to that blog. I didn’t notice anything from her, and was about to close the internet page, but saw a photo of a girl that I thought I recognized. When I looked closer, I confirmed that it was a photo of my old friend, Becca Floyd (who has since gotten married and is now Becca Doolittle), who I was good friends with during high school back home in San Diego.

After searching around that blog and the blog that I found for Becca and her husband, Jason, I concluded that Audrey’s and Becca’s husbands were brothers. I couldn’t believe that I was able to reconnect with a close friend from California who I had lost touch with through a girl who I didn’t know for very long at college in Idaho. I was excited to e-mail Becca and tell her how I had ‘found’ her on the internet. I looked at her blog a little and soon realized another huge coincidence: Becca and her husband moved to Milwaukee earlier this summer for his veterinary medicine internship. So, I e-mailed her, and today Becca was able to come to our home and visit with me, and meet my family. It was really fun to talk with her, and to catch up on everything that has happened to each of us in the last 5 or 10 years. Although her husband has a difficult schedule with his internship right now, we are hoping to get together for dinner sometime soon.

Although I feel like it’s worth it to keep up on our blog because I print out everything that I write here and keep it as a sort of family journal, I sometimes feel like it’s silly to write so much and post it on the internet because I don’t know how many of our family members and friends really read it. Also, although it is a very convenient way for me to keep in touch with friends and keep family updated on what is going on with us, I sometimes wonder if it is less personal that sending a letter in the mail or calling people. But it’s kind of cool to think that using these blogs can not only help me keep in touch with and ‘find’ old friends, but can sometimes lead to being able to get together with them in person (and what could be more personal than that?)

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I have been able to reconnect with old friends too by linking from one friend's blog to another. I think it's so much fun! Keep the posts coming!