12 October 2007

A New Look For Eli

I always pictured all of my boys eventually having the same cute haircut that Kolby has. My little brothers had that haircut when they were young, and Michael did too. Michael and I both liked it, and Kolby has always had that haircut since the first time I cut his hair when he was about 8 or 9 months old.

When Eli came along he didn’t have much hair. Kolby had pretty long hair for a newborn, and Eli’s fuzzy near-baldness was a big contrast. Eli was quite a bit older when I gave him his first haircut than Kolby was, and his hair was long enough in the back for that haircut, but not in the front yet. For quite a while Eli’s hair wasn’t long enough to cut across the front so that he could have the same haircut as Kolby, but I was determined, so I just waited and trimmed it a little here and there. Once Eli’s hair finally got long enough, I cut it to match Kolby’s, but it didn’t lay the same way. Kolby’s has always been pretty straight and thick, and it lays very nicely with that haircut. Eli has a little diagonal cowlick on the front right side of his forehead, which makes it part in that spot and I have often thought that he looked kind of like he was developing male-pattern baldness on that one side. And his hair has always been a little more wavy than Kolby’s – but not enough to look curly, just enough to look kind of messy most of the time. But I was still determined – my boys were all going to have the same, cute, matching haircut. So Eli’s hair would just have to grow in, and once it got thicker I hoped that it would lay straight over the cowlick.

Lately we have started to part Eli’s hair, get it all wet, and comb it over to one side, which keeps it from looking very messy. Once his combed hair dries, it usually lays pretty straight, but it always stays over to one side.

So, since Camden’s hair is proving to be really curly (even though when I cut it he lost many of his curls, they are gradually coming back as his hair gets longer – so I guess maybe he actually has really curly hair, and not just baby curls during the humidity of the summer).

So, since Kolby’s haircut would look pretty ridiculous on Camden’s head of curls, for the first time I have started to consider the idea that my boys may not all have matching haircuts. They might actually each need their own style, since they each have quite different hair-types. Since thinking about that, I have been wondering how Eli’s hair would look best. Today I was looking at a parenting magazine and noticed this picture of a little boy with a haircut that I think would look pretty cute on Eli.

What do you think? Actually, since I recently cut Camden’s hair and regretted it so much, I have been thinking about possibly growing all of the boys’ hair out at least a little longer than it is now. We’ll see. But I think for now I am going to go for it with Eli, at least, and see if we can eventually get to a haircut that resembles the one from the magazine.

No comments: