06 February 2018

Nowadays

I grew up about 5 miles from where we currently live, and I think it’s a great place to raise kids.  I’m afraid that one downside to social media is that some parents may hear about negative things that happen around the country, and many people nowadays seem to have the idea that it’s not as safe today as it was when we were kids. 

Some parents even hesitate to let their kids do things that were considered “normal” back when we were kids (bike to school, walk to a friend’s house, go to a local store, or hike on the trails around the neighborhood). Even though there admittedly is some risk to allowing our kids to do these things, and each family needs to decide what is appropriate for their kids and at what ages, these simple activities can build confidence, independence, and problem solving skills in our kids. Plus getting outside is often more healthy than the alternative indoor activities. So while my husband & I have taught our kids about safety and what to do in case of emergencies, we have always encouraged our kids to get outdoors, try new things, and explore the area around us. 

I’ve always said that I felt like our neighborhood is just as safe nowadays as it was when I was growing up here.  But I guess I was wrong — I just read this article, and apparently San Diego is even safer nowadays than when we were kids.  😉  http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/sd-me-sandiego-crime-20180205-story.html#nws=true

No comments: