16 August 2017

Summer Adventure: San Diego Botanical Gardens

A couple weeks ago the boys, my mom, and I did an impromptu adventure to check out the San Diego Botanical Gardens in Encinitas for our first time. I had read about this place about a year before, but had crossed it off my list when I found out it cost money to get in (I prefer free outdoor adventures when possible). But I recently found out it's free for SD County residents on the 1st Tuesday of the month.

Although we were busy preparing for a trip, we decided to take a break from packing for a couple hours and check out the gardens, since I think it won't be until next summer that the boys have another 1st Tuesday of the month off school.  It was much larger than I expected, and we started out through the bamboo gardens, and then enjoyed seeing all the different types of fruit trees in the fruit gardens, then we stopped at the lookout, before heading over to the children's gardens. I'm sure we didn't see nearly all of the gardens there -- would be fun to check it out again on future 1st Tuesdays. 

The hands down best part, though, was the tree house in the children's garden. At first I thought it was a real, massive old ficus tree that they had built it in, but after very carefully studying it I found that it was actually constructed of cement or some similar material, although they had gone to great lengths to make sure that it had the correct form and texture of tree branches. And little nooks and crannies had been designed all throughout the tree, where live plants and vines have been planted, making it hard to tell at first that the tree isn't real. There are all sorts of rope ladders, tunnels, a spiral staircase, and lookout points -- all covered in beautiful vines and plants. It was the best playground I've ever seen!  Great time, we'll defiantly have to check it out again sometime.



















No comments: