16 August 2017

Courtland's strawberry plants

Well, Courtland asked for a way to earn money, and I happened to notice that the strawberry plants all started to send out runners recently.  So this morning I helped him learn how to propagate new strawberry plants from the runners (which I was just going to cut off and throw away anyway), and he plans to water them each day and then sell the new plants once they grow. 

It was also a good lesson about costs and risks of starting a little business (I told him he has to pay me for the potting soil & cups), and so we figured out how many plants he would need to sell, then setting aside a percentage for his tithing and his mission savings account, and then pay his debt back to me, before he would start making a profit. So lots of real-life math.  He ended up planting 30 of them, so hopefully they grow. (And hopefully Berkley doesn't decide that the cups look like chew toys to her).





No comments: