15 August 2011

Pickles

I was given this little recipe book with different ideas for fresh fruits and vegetables, and one of them was for pickles.  It looked easy, so I thought I’d try it.  I gathered the odd assortment of funny-shaped cucumbers from our garden, and added the vinegar, sugar, celery seed, salt, and chopped pepper and onion, and put them all in a tupperware container in the fridge and tried to remember to shake them up every day for a week or two.  When they were done, I sliced them up, and tried them.  I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised with the sugar in the recipe, but I never even considered that I was making sweet pickles and not dill pickles.  (I love dill pickles, and I usually don’t care for sweet pickles).  So, they weren’t dill, but these were sweet pickles that I could actually eat, and they weren’t half bad.  Actually, when we got home from camping last weekend and I found three large cucumbers ready to be picked in the garden, I mixed up another quick batch of pickles.

No comments: