04 September 2018

Great Dane - Proofing our Yard



I finally did it!  After months of watching Berkley & Coco run around and play in our yard (which I love to see), and unfortunately cause a lot of damage over time to the plants, drip lines, and low voltage lighting every time they run through the planting areas (which I do not love to see!), I finally decided to Great Dane - Proof my garden.  Fortunately, since the dogs weren’t doing anything purposefully destructive like digging or chewing on things, all I had to do was prevent them from running through the planters instead of trying to keep them out entirely.  So I hammered in some stakes and tied twine back and forth between the stakes. It doesn’t take much — just enough for them to realize that there’s something in the way of them running through those areas. And fortunately they’re smart enough that they don’t have to learn the hard way by running through them once and pulling them all down. I was out in the yard the next morning after I did this, abdsaw both dogs take off at a run across the yard, then come up short when they came to the planter. And they haven’t touched them at all since then either. Hopefully this will help train them and we can take the stakes and twine down before too long. But for now we just need to fix a few detached drip lines and a couple of wires for the low voltage lighting, and spread out the dirt again where it had gotten kicked up, and it’ll be as good as new. 












No comments: