20 December 2017

My Tech Experiment, Days 10-13

Day 10:
What we did:  I asked Courtland if he wanted to read a Christmas book and he picked out 6 Christmas books. I read 3 of them, and he read the next 3 since I was halfway falling asleep. Then Isaac came over for a holdie, and I turned on the 2nd “Forgotten Carols” CD and we listened to the story and the music for a little while. And later on I took some time to do my workbook. 

Day 11:
What I learned: During my tech free time in the afternoons I’ve not been fording the boys to do things with me, but I have been inviting them if they want to. Sometimes that means something like reading a book, snuggling on the couch together, or running to the library or something; and other times it’s something I need to get done like tidying up, organizing some papers, getting dinner ready, doing a bit of yard work, etc.  you may have noticed that I’ve been mentioning doing things with Isaac & Courtland more often than the older boys. Part of that is partly because Isaac’s always up for hanging out with mom and is often even up for being helpful when it means spending time with mom. Courtland’s often up for doing stuff with mom too. But the older boys would often be up for it too, they are just a little busier than the younger two at that time of the day. After school the three older boys each have dog walking jobs at different times and on different days of the week, and Kolby has homework or studying most every afternoon, Elijah occasionally has homework he still needs to finish, and all three of them are just as likely to want to go play at a neighbor kids’ house as to want to sit down and chat or read with mom.   :)
What we did:  We fit a lot in this afternoon.  The boys helped me hang up the Christmas cards that our friends & Family have sent us, and Isaac walked with me to drop off a letter in the mailbox. I started to do a little writing in my workbook, then Courtland asked me to go out back to watch all the gymnastics moves he’s learned, which was fun.  Then I asked Isaac & Courtland if they wanted any help with their ‘Faith in God’ booklets, and they each passed off one of the requirements.  Then I picked up a new book that I got at a book exchange for my mom’s book group and it’s intriguing so far. After dinner we went for our family night to Walmart with my parents and picked out items for the refugee family that we “adopted” for Christmas. We got a bike, helmet, lock, backpacks & notebooks, socks, underwear, & toiletries.  I think the boys also enjoyed being part of picking those things out. 

Day 12:
What we did: Isaac helped me and we printed out our family Christmas letter and put a copy into our little binder we have with each year’s letter, and one in each of the boys’ ‘keepsake boxes.’  Then I got to have a phone call with a friend of mine, and I tidied up the house and had the boys help me with that. I read my new book a little, then Isaac went with me and we dropped Kolby & Elijah off for their church youth group activity, and then we dropped off a little treat for my friend that I visit teach at church.  Then Isaac asked if I’d play a game with him, but Camden got upset when he found out we were going to play a game that he didn’t feel like playing. So Isaac & I ended up playing one card game, while Camden & Courtland ended up playing another board game at the same time. Then I did a little more reading before bedtime. 

Day 13:
What I learned: It’s easier for me to get sucked in to checking messages on my phone when the phone is close at hand. Like when we got out of the car at the library, and then when we got back into the car before starting to drive. It’s a lot easier when my phone is charging on the kitchen counter — out of sight, out of mind and not nearly so distracting. 
What we did: The younger two boys went with me to pick up some audiobooks at the library so we’re now all stocked up before our drive to Mammoth, and each boy picked out a little stack of books too. Then I did my workbook for a while, and then did some reading before dropping Camden off at a birthday party and then going to a meeting. 

No comments: