21 September 2017

Malabar Spinach

My mom and I had a day out together today, and we decided to check out City Farmer's Nursery in City Heights. I had read this little description of it online about a year ago, and thought it sounded fun:

"Looking for backyard chickens, and free classes on how to raise them? A sack of “worm poop”? Or a chance to see Georgette, the Shetland-Welsh pony? Find them all at City Farmers Nursery, a working farm inspiring garden lovers since 1972 that also offers live music, brunch, and cold beer next door at Nate’s Garden Grill.  4832 Home Avenue, City Heights."

It was a really fun little nursery to explore, with lots of different kinds of plants and trees, a store filled with seeds, all things gardening/bee keeping/chicken or goat raising/etc. mixed with a spattering of antique decorations. The outdoor portion of the nursery was larger than it looked from the street, and we noticed a few plants we'd never seen before. My mom got a little "wasabi mustard" plant to try out. I saw their turkeys and thought it could be cool to have a turkey (never going to happen, but they were rather pretty, and made a much more quiet, pleasant sound than chickens). And we saw a cool looking vine that had pretty green foliage, a purple stem, and large dark berries that looked something like blackberries, but not quite. We asked about it, and they said it's called Malabar Spinach. The leaves and stems are edible (I tried a berry too, but it was gross and I ended up spitting it out). But they were still very pretty plants, and we asked if they had any for sale, but they didn't. So the lady who worked there cut off a part of the vine for each of us and told us we're welcome to try to propagate it at home.  After watching a couple quick YouTube videos, it looks like you can get them to grow roots just by putting them in water. So Isaac and I tried it out. Then I decided to try it out with some cuttings from my lovely sweet potato vines that are potted in the front yard, to see if I can get some more of those so I can plant them in the back yard. Who knows? It's worth a try. 







No comments: