24 August 2017

Eroded sandstone canyon exploration

Last week I noticed some canyons with some pretty cool erosion patterns in the sandstone from where we're were driving near the 56 and the 5. So the other day my mom, my brother Matthew, and I went exploring. Once we finally found a place to park and then walked up through a neighborhood we found a bit of a trail and made our way to the first little canyon. The erosion reminded me of some places you see in Torrey Pines. We went further, past someone's yard, and reached a larger canyon, which we eventually made our way down into. It was a fun little jaunt.  Near the end of the hike we saw some mini "caves" in the face of one of the canyon wall (which weren't big enough for an adult to climb inside), and one of them had a large nest in it. These reminded me of the ones you see at Annie's Canyon Trail. We found a little path down the hill, which eventually ran into a more well-travelled trail with occasional evidence of of a horse trail. Then, with just a little more bushwhacking, we made it back to the car, just in time to drive home and meet my kids after school. 













(Too bad there were freeways for a backdrop & lots of road noise. Just picture this place before the invention of cars: overlooking a peaceful valley & a nice view of the beach in the distance). 












No comments: