13 August 2015

End of Summer

I'm sitting on the balcony, watching the sun go down, and loving our new place. After a few hours in the pool this afternoon and an early dinner this evening, all 6 boys (our boys, and their friend Carter who has been staying with us this week) are quietly playing a card game in their room. Michael has to be at a late training meeting for work tonight.  Most of the time I don't even see the sunset -- stuff is going on and we just don't happen to look outside.  But tonight I'm enjoying the gentle breeze from the canyon and the pink cloud sunset. 


I've always said, "Give me a couple more months of summer break!"  And if it were an option, I would still definitely choose for my kids to get a 4 month summer vacation from school rather than just 2 months. But if I'm being totally honest I have to admit I am looking forward to school starting next week, in some ways. I have enjoyed sleeping in until 7am this summer, so going back to 6am wake up time will be an adjustment. And we'll be back to a busier schedule of going to and from school every day and I'll be getting more involved in volunteering at the school this year -- I'm now in charge of working with other volunteers and organizing several service projects for the kids throughout the school year, and I'm still planing to help with some of the social events, like the family movie night, so that will keep me busy for sure.  And cub scouts will start back up again, and afternoon piano lessons. So it will be more busy. But it will also give me a little time to catch up on life -- I've felt busy lately, and I haven't gotten to the grocery store in a while, and haven't purchased a single school supply yet (although in my defense, we just found out the teacher assignments today, so I didn't have the last of the school supply lists until this afternoon). 

Once the boys are back in school, I have big plans to really buckle down and finish unpacking those last few boxes left over from the move that we have been avoiding since family came to visit earlier this summer and I haven't gotten myself motivated again since then to finish the last of the unpacking. And I think I'll have more time to plan out the design of our back yard, since we actually do have to get started on the landscaping at some point (you're supposed to have the back yard completed within a year of moving in). I'll go back to my regular schedule of playing volleyball and working on genealogy with my mom two mornings a week again. And get caught up on all the normal life stuff. 

I found out last year when Courtland started kindergarten, it is really nice to have that extra few hours during the day to get so much done. And it's often easier to accomplish errands without so many little helpers along for the ride (I'm guessing most moms would agree with me that once you get a taste of going to the grocery store alone, you won't ever go back to doing the long stock-up kind of grocery shopping trips with the kids in tow unless there is no other option). It's amazing how quickly, though, you can fill up those few hours that the kids are away at school with all the things that still have to be done each day to make everything run smoothly for the family, even once all the kids do go to school. 

Oh well, we have 5 days left of summer. And the boys are excited to go back to school. And I guess I'm just about ready too, I guess.  :)

No comments: