30 December 2009

Comforters

As it started to get colder this fall, I decided we needed some decent bedding to keep everyone warm at night, so I was glad to find some nice comforters for a good price at BJs – I only had to make three different trips to two different stores to find the sizes and colors I wanted. I got a dark red one for our bed, a tan one for Eli’s and Isaac’s bed, and dark blue ones for Kolby’s and Camden’s bunk beds. They are all soft and warm for the winter. (I also thought that it would be nice to have something coordinated for the beds a few years down the road when we eventually want to try to sell this house). The only thing is that nothing comes in play pen/toddler bed size, so I decided I’d need to make one for Courtland if I wanted it to go with the others. I found some warm fleece, used some batting just so it would kind of have the same puffy look as the other comforters, and measured it so that it would work in his play pen now, but it will also fit when he moves to the toddler bed in the future. The only thing was that I didn’t have a sewing machine, so I’d have to find the time to go and use a friend’s. Then a week or so after I got the fabric, we heard that some friends were giving away some things from their grandparents’ house, and they gave us a sewing machine. It’s a 1950s machines that is set in a table, with a little matching bench. Luckily it still had the owner’s manual with it, as I know nothing about sewing machines, and we didn’t even know if the machine was still working or not. But after messing with it for a while, I got it to work. And I think Courtland’s comforter turned out pretty cute, especially since I’m not a sewer.

No comments: